Wednesday, November 15, 2017

The Mystery of Lucy And The Dark Woods (A Book Review)




I read a book of fiction...and I liked it!

If you have been a reader of my blog for any time, you will know that the main books that I read are non-fiction, so when I read fiction, I must tell you about it... 

"The Mystery of Lucy And The Dark Woods" is by Diana Kosmoski, one of my blogging friends!  The story is about Lucy, but I honestly think it is a thinly veiled story about Diana herself.  Lucy is born with a "sixth sense" about things in the Allegheny Mountains of Pennsylvania (just like Diana).  Lucy, like Diana, did not have a very good relationship with her mother. As Lucy grows up, life brings joys but sometimes heartaches with various romances (as I must imagine must be the same for our gorgeous blonde, Diana!)  Throughout the book, there are many references to the music from the 1960's and the 1970's. Y'all know how crazy I am about music!
So, you see how this book could appeal to me...even though it is fiction, I was delighted to read the book and then to connect the stories in the book to the posts that I have read on Diana's blog! 

One of my favorite stories in the book-Lucy discovers that her granddaughter has inherited her "sixth sense" about life and wonders how this precious child will handle the gift that has been bestowed upon her.  (I know exactly which granddaughter she is talking about, since Diana has told us many stories about her!)

"With resolve and determination", that is the way that the book describes Lucy's way of handling the world around her.  I think that Diana must be the same. 

Now, I have given you a very personal book review but even if you do not know Diana from her blog, I think that you would enjoy reading this book!  Diana has her book for purchase on her Etsy shop and you may find it just here!

(Just realized that I forgot to tell you- Diana's blog is Nana Diana Takes a Break and you may find it just here!)

Will I leave you a video of one of the songs mentioned in the book?
You know I will!
The fact that I chose a song from one of the British bands...another personal thing about me, I have that English heart, you know!



   







30 comments:

  1. You enjoyed a book that is non-fiction because you know the author AND know that a lot of what is in the book is based on real life - those are the best stories, aren't they! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are for me! You should write a book yourself, you know you could and it would be a good one!

      Delete
  2. I tend to read fiction and then give it away, but keep non fiction that I read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't keep every book that I have written and like you I have given many away. I must admit, it is the non fiction ones that I regret giving away!

      Delete
  3. It sounds intriguing, and i know you wouldn't recommend any book that isn't great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I certainly enjoy Nana Diana's blog, so I'm not surprised to hear that her book is a good read too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Debra, you will see so much in there that you will be familiar with because you have read Diana's blog!

      Delete
  5. Oh-Kay! Thank you so very much, Kay. You 'outed' me, I see. LOL. I would say that about 80% of the book is thinly veiled truth. You did a wonderful review...better than I deserve. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Diana, I do wish that I could have written a better book review! I just never want to say too much, I want people to read it!

      Delete
  6. It sounds like a very personal book. It's always interesting when a writer can take something from their life and translate it to paper like that and use it to tell a compelling story. I wish her success with the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mark! You know what hard work it is to write! I hope Diana will see your well wishes here.

      Delete
  7. Love Diana and your review of her book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sylvia! I really wish that I could have done it justice!

      Delete
  8. It is a book I will read. You have not steered me wrong yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, stick with me, I promise to steer you right every time! :-)

      Delete
  9. The book sounds interesting and I've always liked that song and group but music didn't stop in the 1970s and there are great modern songs out there waiting to be discovered every bit as good as the old classics. Go forth and find them...:o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Your comment really made me chuckle, my friend! My reply became so long you should look for it as a future post!
      You are inspiring!

      Delete
  10. You give excellent book reviews. I am mostly reading on kindle these days, due to arthritis, and I see amazon has this available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that is great, I didn't think about reading it on Kindle! I can hardly read one book of fiction, when I start reading one, I find myself not caring at all about the characters and just only read a few pages, but this one...I read it all AND enjoyed it! Also, I can just SEE it made into a movie, with all the music in the background, it would make a great film, I think.

      Delete
  11. Thank you for the review, Kay. It sounds like it is a good read. :)

    On the subject of music...Malcolm Young of AC/DC fame has passed away...at the age of 64...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. that is so sad and I also just saw the David Cassidy is in critical condition, it doesn't look good.

      Delete
  12. I'm practically drowning in G&TP's "Ferry Cross the Mersey." I had the 45 and played it so many times! The book sounds really interesting. I have had friends with extra senses. A sixth sense is not an easy gift! Just the opposite of you, I love and read a lot of fiction, but I just finished a great non-fiction book called "The Lost City of the Monkey God" by Douglas Preston. It's all about an archeological expedition in Honduras ~ Awesome! Take care, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Ferry Cross The Mersey" is a very good song. If you go to the end of the video that I gave you, there is another video after it which has Gerry Marsden explaining how he wrote the song, awesome little bit of info that I love!
      Have a good weekend and stay warm!

      Delete
  13. Sounds like a good read. I love book reviews, always looking for new ones.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Amalia! Thanks very much for your comment! If you look at Diana's blog, that will give you a sense of the writer herself! x

      Delete
  14. Your book review makes me want to check this out! I'll check out her blog also. The first pic looked like our "Creepy Woods"! I loved G&TPM in the 60's and I think there was a movie that went with that song...I'm almost sure I saw it...hmmm, have to look into that! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Check out Diana's blog you will love her! Happy Thanksgiving dear Yaya!

      Delete
  15. Nice review - I'll check that out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey fellow Georgia gal! I am the worst book reviewer ever! Still, i hope I gave you an idea of the book. I suspect that Diana put her heart and soul into it. Hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving!

      Delete