Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Fixing A Hole/ Sundrops








Recently, one of our friends had to fix a hole in his ceiling.  Of course you know I had to call and sing a song into their answering machine. AND you must know which one it was!  "Fixing A Hole" is one of the songs from the album "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band".  I found a clip of Sir Paul doing this in concert, so I hope you like it.  (It says you can't see it, but just click on there and then, you can!)
Interesting to me, on the day that they were to record this, a man was at the door of the recording studio and he asked if he could come inside and listen to the Beatles as they were recording.  He said that he was Jesus.
Typical of Paul, he invited him in and gave him a cup of tea and asked him to sit quietly in the corner while they recorded this song. 
I love that story and I will think of it whenever I hear "Fixing A Hole".  Not that you hear much of the Beatles' music anymore...more's the pity.  
Now, I wonder, do you remember this song? Could you sing it? And do you ever call your friends and sing into an answering machine or am I the only one who thinks to do that? (I have sung "Happy Birthday" like Elvis for years...doesn't everyone?)




I wish that Sir Paul could see all the wildflowers blooming now at Stone Mountain, Panola Mountain and Arabia Mountain...they deserve a song! Sundrops or evening primroses(oenothera)...they are beautiful!

25 comments:

  1. If I'm hones I'd forgotten this particular song but I certainly hadn't noticed that the Beatles had disappeared at all. Mind you I don't listen to radio very much. I certainly have plenty of their songs: in fact I may play some today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I love our local wildflowers, I drive folks crazy about them!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful blooms!
    I'm pretty sure I could sing almost every Beatles song from memory : ) I had an older sister who bought all of their albums the minute they were released and then she played them until they were scratched to death. It was the music of my childhood and it remains timeless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the Beatles, love them! I feel sorry for kids these days, they don't have all the great music that we had growing up.

      Delete
  4. He would certainly be able to write a song for your flowers if anyone could. Love the story about how nice he was to the man claiming to be Jesus.

    As for singing, no, i don't do that, and you're welcome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish Sir Paul could read my blog and then, I could see him on one of the mountains here observing the wildflowers for his song! (More of a chance I could see him in Sussex in England though!)
      Glad you liked the story of Jesus in the recording studio too!

      Delete
  5. The sundrops are beautiful and very aptly named.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sundrops, the name alone is just begging to become a song!

      Delete
  6. I would pay good cash money to hear you sing Happy Birthday like Elvis -- I bet it's a fabulous rendition! You should record yourself and post it here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear, you must be easily entertained! It's funny, I never thought of people actually leaving my singing voice on their machines but some people have done that, those that still have land lines, that is. Would I ever record myself singing and have it here? Nah, not likely! :-)

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. They are gorgeous, aren't they? And they are just there, for anyone to see and enjoy!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful yellow flowers :-)
    I would like to be one if those people who leave subg messages on answering machines, but although I love singing, I hate the sound of my recorded voice and therefore never do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't stand to hear my voice on a recording. Maybe it is because I compare it to my husband's gorgeous deep voice with his English accent! But hey, my singing voice is better...that is what I tell myself anyway! :-)
      You have seen these flowers before I know, but every year when they bloom, it is as if I have never seen them before!!

      Delete
  9. I think of the cartoon where Ringo says, "I've got a hole in me pocket."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yellow Submarine! I love Ringo Starr! Love all of them really.
      If you ever get the chance, read this book- "The Love You Make" by Peter Brown.

      Delete
  10. Yes - I know that Beatles song very well. And I definitely sing happy birthday over the phone to (mostly) family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes but the next time try to sing it like Elvis!

      Delete
    2. Yes but the next time try to sing it like Elvis!

      Delete
  11. The oenothera are blooming here, too - but pink ones! These in your photos are just wonderful, turning orange to yellow the way they seem to do. Don't you love how they blow in the breeze?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, yes, they are such pretty flowers! Thanks very much for your comment! :-)

      Delete
  12. Oh yes, I remember the song, but can't say I could sing it. I LOVE wildflowers too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's ages since I've heard this song. I'm sure I still have the LP here somewhere. My ex was a huge Beatles fan and we had all their albums...and most of them ended up with me, I think. We saw McCartney live when he did his "Wings Over the World" tour. I probably have mentioned this previously.

    ReplyDelete