Sunday, June 14, 2015

Trout, Trout, Pretty Little Trout-Arthur Woody



Richard and I visited my Dad at his campsite at the end of March.
Trout season begins on the last weekend of March.
For as long as I can remember, Daddy has made sure that he is beside a trout stream for that weekend even if it is pouring with rain and it very often is! 

Arthur Woody  was one of the first forest rangers in the North Georgia mountains and it was he who introduced the speckled trout so favored by fishermen.  It is not a native fish.  He also re-introduced white tail deer back to the mountains as they had almost been wiped out by over hunting.  (Of course, we know now that it is best NOT to introduce new species into an environment.  The same thing applies to plants.  Don't get me started on kudzu!)

We walked to the trout hatchery and saw some very large trout and they had a sign telling us all the trout in the streams there and how to identify them.  Now, do I remember them and how to tell them apart? No, not really...I could only think of "Trout, trout...pretty little trout".  What was that from?   A child's poem?  I am happy to tell you, I did think of it.  It is from a funny Bugs Bunny cartoon.

You know I found it for you!  Oh, and this cartoon might make fun of "hillbillies" a bit, but hey, at least you don't hear those notes from a banjo, you know, "Deliverance" style!  (You might guess that that movie is NOT my cup of tea!)


Speaking of fish (how often will you read THAT in a blog?)
I would like to recommend a book:
 "Hooked: Pirates, Poaching, and the Perfect Fish" by G. Bruce Knecht. 
Wow, this book was lent to me by my brother-in-law because he knew I would love it and he was right!  It is a true story of the poaching of the Patagonian toothfish (which used to be called Chilean Sea Bass).  There is also an interesting courtroom trial at the end of the book....just read it and tell me if you don't find it fascinating too!

"Trout, trout...pretty little trout"...if you watched the cartoon, I bet you are singing that now!  It's amazing that the speckled trout that is so well known to the fishermen here is really all because of just that one ranger, Arthur Woody.
   (I have read that Sosebee Cove is one of the favorite trails of Arthur Woody....and you know I have that on my list of things to see!)


23 comments:

  1. A nice tribute to your dad ,fishing and Arthur Woody.. A very relaxing and thoughtful sport to enjoy! I think it is a place where you can go to think or clear your mind also. I have been thinking about fishing since I found out two of my favorite relatives, both ladies, had been fly fishing fanatics! My husbands late brother liked to catch salmon and my late mother-in-law loved trout, it was always her favorite meal. A lovely post, thanks for sharing and enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not into fishing myself, it is my Dad who makes sure to go trout fishing! I only visit him and make sure I am in time for his homemade cooking for lunch! I did spend a good amount of my childhood by my Dad's side and whenever I am near a lake, the smell of it brings back fond memories of childhood as my Dad tried to catch fish with me asking every question in the universe.
      Thank you for you comment and I hope you enjoy your week! :-)

      Delete
  2. Stop!!! You must stop recommending books for me. I am only one person and I cannot keep up with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I got a million of 'em!
      I have so many books that I love that hardly anyone else knows about!

      Delete
  3. Years ago we used to visit a trout hatchery it was amazing to see. What a nice memory you have of fishing with your dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See my reply to the first comment above! I really am not much of a fisherman, I don't even try. We got to the campsite in time for a great lunch, AFTER my Dad had fished. (Not much happening, it was a bit too cold this year!.)

      Delete
  4. I don't think I have ever eaten trout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure that I have eaten trout, but since my Dad likes to make hushpuppies when he has fish, it is the hushpuppies that I like the best.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks! And do you notice that the trout is really a trout stamp from England? HA! Gotta get my English part in my post! xx

      Delete
  6. Kay, my husband loves, loves, loves to trout fish. Can you recommend a good spot to do this in Georgia. Obviously there is no trout fishing here on the coast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Dad used to go to Sarah's Creek in Clayton, Georgia...he went there for many years but I think they have changed it to where he can't take his camper there. Shame, since he really loved it. If your husband goes there and loves it, let me know! Hope he catches some trout.

      Delete
  7. You don't have to tell us about non-native species, i promise. Nutria, anyone?

    That's one of my favorite Bugs Bunny 'toons! It's the one in which you also find the line, "I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I hope that everyone knows that I always have to make sure that folks don't get the wrong idea from things that I post about.
      I love this cartoon! I am glad that you do too...when they start knocking each other upside the head, it makes me laugh out loud! You know, I have read that they think that this cartoons were too violent, but for Pete's sake, we knew they were cartoons! I don't remember knocking anybody upside the head, but come to think of it, there are a few adults I would like to do that to now! :-)

      Delete
  8. Trout is one of my favorite meals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet it is expensive in a restaurant. I have never had it unless someone has caught it!

      Delete
  9. There are a good few old trouts round this way I can tell you....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I am proud to say that I have never been called a trout! A dozy old cow, yes, but never an old trout!

      Delete
  10. I enjoyed your post, I like to go fishing but I usually take along a book to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not a big at fishing myself, I just like being near my Dad! :-)

      Delete
  11. I don't care if it's not politically correct, I love that classic Bugs Bunny cartoon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I come from the mountains myself and my own Grandfather wore clothes and a hat very similar to those carton characters...but I still find this very funny!

      Delete
  12. I've not been fishing for quite a few years now, but when I did...I really enjoyed it. Fishing is good for the mind...as well as for the belly! ;)

    ReplyDelete