Wednesday, April 22, 2015

That Dam Meeting About The Draining of the Lakes!



Okay, let's see if I am understanding the situation regarding the draining of the lakes at Panola Mountain State Park...
There are two earthen dams holding back the water at Alexander Lakes. One of the dams is owned by the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) and the other one is owned by the Georgia Department of Transportation (GDOT).
The issue seems to be with the dam which is owned by GDOT.  Engineers have observed "seeping" from the earthen dam which is on the lower lake.  We learned from the meeting that even though the dam is not dangerous at this time, it is felt that it is only a matter of time until the dam will fail.
In the state of Georgia, we have the Safe Dams Program.  I think this was put into place after the tragedy in Toccoa, Georgia of the  Kelly Barnes Dam where 39 people died (this was in November 1977).    

Now, back to GDOT....it turns out that the reason behind the purchase of this property was for the purpose of mitigation credits for GDOT.   Mitigation credits...I had never heard of this before.  You may read more about it just here.   If you are still with me, it turns out that the lower lake with the dam owned by GDOT was always intended to be drained and to be turned into a "wetlands', which we were assured will be a STREAM and not a SWAMP, as one of those in attendance at the meeting suggested that it might become! Once the level of the lake is lowered, there will be observation of the second dam and it is  HOPED that the second upper lake will be saved.  We shall see.

Now... about the meeting... it was packed!  And all who were present were obviously passionate .about Panola Mountain State Park and the beautiful Alexander Lakes!  One of those who stood up and asked several questions about the lake drainage, was Charlie Muise.  Charlie is with the Audubon Society and of course, showed his concern for the environmental side of it.  (Charlie was the one who was responsible for having Panola Mountain named as an IBA,   Important Birding Area.).  The meeting went on for almost two hours and there were so many questions, they had to almost push folks out of the door!  (For myself, I was so hungry, I wanted to say, "Don't you guys have any DAM food?" HA!)   Seriously, I should remind myself that I shouldn't go anywhere after a long day at work, I am getting too old to do things like that!  Still, I am glad that we went, I really don't know if I understand it all completely, but what I took away from it is that ONE of the lakes MIGHT be saved.  So...fingers crossed! 
 
 Happy  Earth  Day! 
 

28 comments:

  1. Hope it turns out to save at least one lake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't believe how much I am hoping the same!

      Delete
  2. Good to hear so many people are passionately engaged on this issue. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra, you would have loved being around people who are all of the same mind, all wanting desperately to save the lakes. Keep us in your prayers/happy thoughts!

      Delete
  3. Well, it looks like there are valid reasons for what they intend to do about the dam(s) and the lake. The worst reason would have been to develop the land for building on it, and that is apparently not the case. Wetlands are beautiful and important for flora and fauna, too, so, who knows - Panola Mountain State Park may become even more varied in their beauty in the future.
    I understand you so well about doing (or not) things after a long day at work! My job is certainly much less stressful than yours, but when I get hungry, I can not focus on anything else... If I have something scheduled right after work without time for a meal, I try to have a snack with my last cup of coffee at work, or take a packet of fruit & nuts or something like that with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lived as a teenager in St. Mary's, Georgia and was amazed at the wildlife in the marshes of Glynn County...talk about wetlands! Perhaps it will turn out best for the wildlife, I certainly hope so.
      I do have to realize that even thought there are things that I would like to do, my body still has to have food and rest in order to function properly!

      Delete
  4. In my experience there is always more to these projects than meets the eye, specially when it damages wildlife. I think your protesters could maybe start considering who stands to make money on this. Call me cynical? maybe....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Jenny, I am the same way! I felt better after attending the meeting, the folks there showed how much they cared and they were not shy about letting those behind the table know that!!

      Delete
  5. This is one of those situations that could go either way. If they do drain it, i hope they do it correctly and maintain the integrity of the site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, remember the phrase "wiser heads prevailed"? You don't hear that much these days, I wonder why.

      Delete
  6. A few summers ago I had the opportunity to visit one of our historic villages here in Ohio and they were very concerned there that a dam nearby was leaking and wasn't be fixed. It would eventually cause them to loose many historic buildings. So far the problem has not been solved and the dam is still holding. Seems your state is not the only one with dam problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did some research before I went to the meeting and it looks like a big problem across the whole country. Sometimes, you do wonder if something else is behind the info that you are given. Still, I hope for the best!

      Delete
  7. I really hope that both lakes can be saved. If that's not possible then just one. It's going to damage the ecosystem when you end up losing an entire lake, let alone two. I'm glad there were so many passionate people there. It gives you hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are exactly right! I had no idea how many people would show up. I think those in charge were surprised as well! It gave me great hope to see so many people there, all fired up, so to speak and ready to do battle!

      Delete
  8. Interesting... The definition of 'wetlands' is, according to EPA Regulations listed at 40 CFR 230.3(t), '...generally include swamps, marshes, bogs and similar areas.' I'd rather have these than a stream any day. Streams tend to have 'dry' banks; wetlands support a much wider range of wildlife and are much more interesting for photographing. And, of course, if there are beaver in the area, they may do something about it. :-)
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Joan!
      Lovely to see your comment here! Yes, I know that wetlands are great, and your beaver comment makes me laugh! Have you been to Alexander Lakes and done any of your photography? I miss seeing your blog...when I try to look at it, my computer goes down...don't know why, I can look at the first few photos. and then....nothing. !! Sorry.
      Thanks again for your visit!
      Did you get to Arabia Mountain to see the blooming diamorpha this year? The blooms were INCREDIBLE!!

      Delete
    2. I've driven around there but never walked the trail. I almost didn't think about the beaver except for a wonderful swamp on Adcock Road in Walton Co; there is a wonderful beaver dam against the road that creates that swamp and the owner protects it. There's another dam in Wilkes Co. that must be about 100 yards long. Someone went in with heavy equipment and cut hole in it. The beaver repaired it over the following six months. Go Beavers!
      Have you tried subscribing for e-mail delivery of my posts. I can see all my pics in e-mail. Just a thought!

      Delete
  9. Well it sounds like the right people are keeping watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly so, it made me proud of this community.

      Delete
  10. What a good thing that so many passionate and articulate people came to the meeting to demonstrate the strong interest in saving the lakes. Having one turn into a wetlands and the other remain a lake would be a good solution. But I wish they could repair the defective dam. I hope you had a good meal when you returned home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! You sound like me...they talked for so long but I just wanted to stand up and say, "Uh, okay, but can't you just FIX the damn dam?"
      Oh dear, it was so late when we got home and we were so tired, we just ate a few leftovers that we had...we were exhausted mentally and physically, I think.

      Delete
  11. If the reasons they presented are valid perhaps it is a good thing that they are going to drain one lake. Hopefully everyone is being honest and the changes to the environment will not be too drastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They even admitted that since there were no houses downstream of the dam, the only threat is to the South River, already one of the most polluted rivers in the state, I believe.

      Delete
  12. I do hope that the reasons are valid ones (and they do sound plausible) and that as much is saved as is possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Graham!
      You know I will let you know in future posts about what will happen here, I am always hopeful, I think it is best to be so!

      Delete
  13. Let's hope the lakes are saved. I hope that all the hard work the people are putting into this issue brings positive results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Positive results...yes! That is just what we all are hoping for!

      Delete
  14. It's great that you're all getting involved to do everything you can to save the lakes or to at least understand what the options are.

    ReplyDelete