Friday, November 15, 2013

Lake Alexander/Walking On Water




Lake Alexander at Panola Mountain State Park is beautiful in all seasons and at all times of the day.  Richard and I just stopped on the boardwalk yesterday and had a chat with a fellow walker. We spoke quietly as the sun was setting, the almost full moon was reflected in the lake and a heron on the shoreline totally ignored us...it was quiet and still and the air was fresh and cool.   He told us that it was a shame that Mr. Alexander did not live long enough to see the completed trail...he said that although Mr. Alexander wanted to leave his six hundred acres to Panola Mountain State Park, his family was against it, that some members of the family wanted to develop it and build houses on this beautiful land.  I am so thankful that this did not happen and that we are able to enjoy this natural beauty.



The lake is lovely.  If you look at my last post, you will see that there is Upper Alexander Lake and Lower Alexander Lake, separated by the small road.  As you walk on this road, it is like walking on water. It is for bikers and hikers only (although the park rangers will sometimes drive their trucks on it, they always look out for us, since WE are the ones with the right-of-way!)  The boardwalk that is across the wetlands area of Upper Alexander Lake is wonderful, it arches out so much into the lake, that it too feels as if you are walking on water.
 I found a poem by Sarah Rossiter. I hope you like it too.


Would you believe I walked on water as Jesus did, and
Peter too, that is, until fear weighed him down? It wasn’t
A miracle, not like his, though as I slid across the pond,
Lily pads swayed underfoot while minnows slipped,
Slim silver needles through water like transparent silk.
Which is to say it felt like one for even though the black ice
Held, who can trust what can’t be seen, and, so, like Peter,
I felt fear. And yet, I walked--I didn’t sink--on polished glass
Between two worlds, the one we live in, and the next where
From cold depths, a turtle rose with eyes like dark seeds, bright,
Unblinking, until he stopped, surprised by ice, a mirrored sheet
Of shining light through which, as I lay down we looked,
To see each other face to face.   


by Sarah Rossiter


38 comments:

  1. That water is just lovely. Smooth as glass for sure. Beautiful evenings like that one were meant to be captured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely, so serene. Thanks for your comment, you are welcome to come back with us!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Sylvia! You know how pretty our lakes can be in Georgia!

      Delete
  3. We owe much to those people of vision and foresight who created parks and nature sanctuaries for us today. Hopefully, people in the future will say the same about our society's preservation of the wild -- yeah, probably not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There really are a determined group of people who are fighting for the environment. It might seem like an uphill battle at times, but hopefully, they will prevail and there will be wild parts of the world left for future generations. I hope so anyway.

      Delete
  4. Kay, please tell Richard that, once again, his pictures are breathtakingly beautiful! You could seriously get these published in a coffeetable book about the natural beauty of your area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fully endorse Meikle's comment. He should think about getting a collection together with you writing the commentary. Perhaps you could get a local publisher interested?

      Delete
    2. Meike & John, Thank you!!
      I think that Richard's photos are amazing and I am glad that you agree!
      You have given us something to think about. Thank you again!

      Delete
  5. What a lovely place, just what I need! Great pictures in a great place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Glad you could come with us, and please notice, the crazy lady wasn't in any of these. ;-)

      Delete
  6. Some places just need to be left the way they are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pictures are tranquillity itself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is very beautiful, I love that bird! And the poem:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tania! I knew you would love the poem! :-)

      Delete
  9. What a beautiful place! Thank goodness for those nature sanctuaries and beautiful parks. The last thing we need is more concrete development.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boy, you should see how many trees we have lost in the Atlanta area, it is really sad.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful, just beautiful. That wonderful expanse, and what serenity. I can just imagine that peaceful quietude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And we are just minutes away from the busiest highway traffic and the busiest airport in the country! You would never know it from these photos!

      Delete
  11. Kay, so good to see you this morning!
    How fortunate for all in your area to have such a peaceful and beautiful 'retreat' to visit.It almost does look like one could walk on that water.
    Mr.Alexander was a very thoughtful and caring human being.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jim!
      We don't have as much water as you, but what we do have, we appreciate!! xx

      Delete
  12. Oh how peaceful and beautiful those two top photos are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! When the sun is setting behind the lake, the water just looks so deep and deliicous, and Richard captures it in his photos!

      Delete
  13. WoW, thank goodness his family didn't get their way!!! We have plenty of houses but nowhere near enough nature!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I thought of you when I did this post!! I remember your lamenting all the houses being built around you and the trees being cut down. You are my fellow friend of nature!! xx

      Delete
  14. Such a beautiful place and thank you so much to Mr Alexander for believing so passionately that it should be preserved for future generations. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie. It was interesting to stop and speak with the gentleman who seemed to know so much about the area. It made me appreciate that everything came together so that we and many others can enjoy this beauty. xx

      Delete
  15. What a lovely and interesting poem. I've never heard of this poet, so I learned something new to investigate.
    What a wonderful gift they give us, these people who donate land, beautiful land for us all to share and enjoy. There is a small park in Medina County Ohio - Allardale - which was all given by Stan Allard. He and his wife had no children and had made a beautiful tree farm which his more distant nieces and nephews agreed to give to the county. My husband and I and all our family walked there often with pleasure. http://www.medinacountyparks.com/pages/Allardale.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Thanks so much for telling me this! And I don't know if you meant to type those last words with so much space between them... but I loved that they turned out that way!
      By the way, could you possibly send me a quick email...it is on the side of my blog...there is something I would like to say to you....thanks in advance! Kay

      Delete
  16. Nice Poem. Like the turtle twist at the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really love her poetry, I have her Owls poem under my post..."Christmas Cartoon and Poem"...it is my most viewed post.

      Delete
  17. Wonderful place to enjoy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is FANTASTIC!!

      This looks like the first time you have visited me. This pleases me no end!
      Please stop by anytime!

      Delete
  18. Beautiful, Kay. And I loved that poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dorothy! So good to see your comment here! Hope you are doing well these days! Can you believe it is almost Thanksgiving? Hope you have a good one! xx

      Delete
  19. What an amazing place. That lake water in the first photo looks like glass.

    ReplyDelete