Wednesday, December 5, 2012

It's A Sin To Tell A Lie

Thank you for all the best wishes for my mother-in-law's birthday! And look at my last post if you missed it!  Joan was very pleased with all your nice comments.  Thank you all so much, you are the best!
 
Now, I must tell you that I just finished the most extraordinary book and I will tell you about it, but for right now, I will just tell you that it is a true story of a man who went through some horrible experiences in his life.  One involved being involved in a sinking of a ship, which he survived.  As he was drifting in the ocean and wondering if he would live, there was a song that came to him, and it helped his survival.  It must have meant a lot to him, he titled this one chapter with the name of the song, and it is "It's A Sin To Tell A Lie".  He said that the Fats Waller version is what kept him going, but I found a version by The Inkspots which I really like a lot.  Please listen to it and let me know what you think. ( I know this song very well since I know a lot of old songs from years of listening to Chas & Dave.  If you don't know who they are, I can only tell you that they are English and I wish so much that there was more of them on YouTube, so I could share them with you.)    I really love this song!   Chas & Dave sang it in a more honky-tonk way, Fats Waller's version is in a kind of a comedic way and I even found a home recording version of Elvis singing it, which I also love.

Oh, and I must tell you that after I found this song by the Inkspots, I am afraid that I spent a very long time listening to every single song that I could find by them. They were incredibly good!! Please listen to this video until the very end, just before it finishes, you will not believe what a perfect high note the singer hits! WOW!

We walked up Arabia Mountain yesterday and still found some color.  Almost everything has gone to seed and most of the leaves have fallen but as late as December 4th, we found one small patch of yellow daisies and some bright red leaves.  I'm not making this up because after all, it's a sin to tell a lie! (You know I had to say it.)  Look at that lovely rock behind the yellow flowers, I love so much to walk over that!  Richard took some great shots of the sunset...I will show you those when  I tell you about the amazing book that I have mentioned above... hope you are finding color wherever you are.

26 comments:

  1. Listening to the song as I am typing this; I had not heard of The Inkspots before. The song is done in a Slow Waltz (English Waltz) rhythm, which is one of the ballroom dances RJ and I are best at :-)
    Wonderful colours, and amazing to still be found in nature at this time of the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I had read that it was a waltz rhythm, which makes sense to me because I love waltzes! Now, you and RJ will have to dance to this great song!
      We were pleased to walk up Arabia and to see those last yellow daises hanging on (they were sheltered) and also those bright red leaves.

      Delete
  2. Interestingly it is The Inkspots version with which I think I am most familiar and I too am listening as I'm typing. All this at a time when here in New Zealand everything is getting ready for the full blaze of summer colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hope you like the Inkspots as much as I do, and I just discovered them! "Ready for the full blaze of summer colour", that sounds wonderful!

      Delete
  3. A nice place, and always some colour somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard can find it, always! You will make me do another Inkspots song now!

      Delete
  4. It was a beautiful note! Enjoyed the song! Stunning yellow with the grey background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Paul, I am glad you liked the song and the photo! And I want you to practice now, I expect YOU to hit that same note when you sing this song!

      Delete
  5. When I was a kid I had never heard of the Ink Spots but then I got an old 78 rpm record of them singing Alabama Barbecue
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIfN6yTYiZM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! I found a scratchy recording of that song! I think more people should know about the Inkspots. Should I write a book about them?
      I am still waiting for YOUR book about the Victorians!

      Delete
  6. We have a spot of yellow in our yard -- the kumquat tree was very abundant this year. Enjoy the color, wherever you find it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mimi,
      Oh, those kumquats sound good, very good!
      And you know I will enjoy color!

      Delete
  7. It is always a joy catching the last little splashes of colour.
    I like the Inkspots very much; that is some note!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was joyful to spot that yellow!
      And I am so glad that you liked that too, Tracey! WOWSER, what a singer.

      Delete
  8. I am glad Joan was tickled about the Happy Birthday wishes. I loved he Inkspots...they made some incredible music. I hope you are having a wonderful day. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diana. And happy to find another Inkspots fan!
      Hope that Sweetcheeks is feeling better! xx

      Delete
  9. A beautiful song. I don't know much about The Inkspots and now I have to try to find out more.....Lovely color! Is this near Kennewaw Mountain? My gggrandfather fought in the Union Army there.I think it is close to where his younger brother John was killed. Any bright color is a treasure now, but the subtle browns and grays are wonderful, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just found out about the Inkspots and I can't believe how good they are!
      Kennesaw Mountain is north of Atlanta and about one hour away from us. There were some fierce battles in and around Atlanta, and Kennesaw Mountain was one of them. My great, great Grandfather fought in the Battle of Atlanta, but he would have been on the Confederate side. So many died, it was a terrible war.
      And yes, I agree, I love all the colors!

      Delete
  10. Lovely pictures. I like the header picture too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey John!
      Good to see your comment here! And thank you, you know that Richard took all these photos, I am sure!
      You will have to sing this song by the Inkspots, and like Paul, you MUST make that high note! I'll just bet you can!!

      Delete
  11. I remember the Ink Spots but I don't think I was really into them back in the day. I can appreciate the music better now! High note indeed and for some reason it made me laugh! Anyway, love the final color you found....ours is all brown and evergreen green...no snow (which is really OK with me!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of their music was from the 40's, so that would have been before our time! Nothing to stop us from enjoying it now though. And you laughed because you did not expect it. Really listen to it though, and you will see how good it is, what a clear note he hits. In our time now, we are not used to singers like this, you know, good ones! :-)
      And I am with you on the snow, I think it's best somewhere else!

      Delete
  12. A quick P.S...Say a belated Happy Birthday to your Mother-in-law! I don't know how I missed that post?...Oh..about the blog book...the cost depends on how many posts you do for the year. It usually runs me about $70...seems like alot but with all the pics and text it gets a bit long! But I love them anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your birthday wishes for my MIL!
      Oh, I thought it would cost a lot, and I bet it would be even more for me, all the photos I have on mine, which I can't help because Richard took most of them!!

      Delete
  13. I commented and it disappeard. ?? Well, I'll try again...

    I envy you; we're pretty much done with colours here and it's awfully grey out there. I'm hoping for a light dusting of snow (no storms, please!!) to brighten up the outdoors. At least there are Christmas decorations and lights to pick up our spirits.

    Is it a sin to tell little white lies?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the bright lights and color at Christmas, don't you?
      And I hope I don't get in too much trouble for telling little white lies! After all, you really have to sometimes to spare people's feelings, don't you?

      Delete