Sunday, April 1, 2012

Palm Sunday/My Song Is Love Unknown




Beautiful service today at my church, St. Simon's Episcopal Church.   Father Dan said that with our procession into the church with the Palm fronds,  the Bible readings, and the beautiful hymns that he felt that the sermon had already been given.  He quoted from the last hymn that we would sing today...My Song Is Love Unknown and I found a beautiful clip from Youtube that is from England.  To be honest, our choir and the choir director/organist really are so wonderful, I wish I could have a video of them on here for you.  This choir on Youtube didn't do all the verses so I have all the verses printed at the bottom of my post.  I can never sing that last verse without crying.  Even Father Dan became choked up with emotion when he was quoting from this song, it was even more moving with this beautiful melody...

My song is love unknown,
My Savior’s love to me;
Love to the loveless shown,
That they might lovely be.
O who am I, that for my sake
My Lord should take, frail flesh and die?


He came from His blest throne
Salvation to bestow;
But men made strange, and none
The longed for Christ would know:
But O! my Friend, my Friend indeed,
Who at my need His life did spend.


Sometimes they strew His way,
And His sweet praises sing;
Resounding all the day
Hosannas to their King:
Then “Crucify!” is all their breath,
And for His death they thirst and cry.


Why, what hath my Lord done?
What makes this rage and spite?
He made the lame to run,
He gave the blind their sight,
Sweet injuries! Yet they at these
Themselves displease, and ’gainst Him rise.


They rise and needs will have
My dear Lord made away;
A murderer they saved,
The Prince of life they slay,
Yet cheerful He to suffering goes,
That He His foes from thence might free

.
In life, no house, no home
My Lord on earth might have;
In death no friendly tomb
But what a stranger gave.
What may I say? Heav’n was His home;
But mine the tomb wherein He lay.


Here might I stay and sing,
No story so divine;
Never was love, dear King!
Never was grief like Thine.
This is my Friend, in Whose sweet praise
I all my days could gladly spend.

12 comments:

  1. A truly beautiful post, Kay. Did you know April is Poetry Month? I just found this out at another blog. A lovely stained glass and enjoyed the video as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jane,
      Thanks. April is Poetry Month? I love poetry.! And lyrics to my favorite hymns are the best poetry! :-)

      Delete
  2. How wonderful to have such faith. I love that stained glass window.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always feel a little guilty speaking of faith (who me? I'm just goofy Kay with my little childlike self, but my church allows me come there anyway). There are members of my church who can speak so eloquently about faith and religion, I wish that I could. The beauty and the mystery of it all is so much for me sometimes that I am overwhelmed by it and that emotion must go somewhere, so I cry.

      Delete
  3. A lovely post, Kay. I admire your strong faith. It must give you a great sense of comfort in life. That is a beautiful stained glass window. It must be something to see when the sun hits it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Martha,
      Thanks. Please read my reply to the comment above.
      I was crying as I wrote it!
      You might not can see it, but I love all the people's faces in the background on that stained glass and I even love the donkey! Sometimes, during certain hymns...the sun will come out and shining through the stained glass will illuminate my face with red or yellow light and that feels like heaven!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful window, beautiful song. Spent my Palm Sunday teaching the 5-6 year old class. We decorated a "throne".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mimi,
      Thank you. I taught Sunday School class for middle school for years, I help out with the younger ones sometimes too. I don't know about them, but I have a lot of fun!

      Delete
  5. We 8 o'clockers missed the music except I did get to hear the last hymn because I came back for a duty. Our windows are beautiful. One of those I like is of Mary and Elizabeth, it reminds me of the friendship between my mother and my mother-in-law.
    Loved the story of your Dad & his service in Germany. I just sent a picture to Ancestry of an uncle made in Hawaii before he went to the Asian theater. So glad you listen to your Dad's stories, they need to be passed on. Enjoy all your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Dot!
      Glad you liked my Dad's stories too. I will have to find the Mary & Elizabeth window, not sure which one that is! Hope you and all the family have a happy Easter.
      Love,
      Kay

      Delete
  6. blessings and graces to you this Holy Week.

    ReplyDelete