Wednesday, October 4, 2017

I Won't Back Down




I looked it up...I did a post in 2015 about Tom Petty's song "I Won't Back Down".  You may find it just here.

Reading a bit more about it, I have learned that the song was written in 1987 after Tom Petty's house had burned and he was told that the fire was due to arson.  It was very difficult for him to grasp that someone had done this deliberately. (No one was ever arrested for this crime.)    Defiantly, he rebuilt a bigger house on the same property and he wanted to show the unknown arsonist that he would not back down.  (The song was co written with Jeff Lynne, a friend and fellow composer/ musician/singer.  I hope you know ELO!)

  The song was in heavy play after the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001.  That is what music does, it will sometimes take on a life of its own, in ways that are comforting and just right for the times.







Big sky over Arabia Mountain.   
Peace.




10 comments:

  1. Kay, I have always liked this song. Thank you for telling the story behind it. Tom Petty will be missed. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heard it on the news at the same time as reports about the Las Vegas mass murder were coming in.
    I am sure I have commented on your previous Tom Petty post (haven't looked it up now, am a bit pressed for time at the moment).

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's interesting to learn more about Tom Petty. It's awesome that he responded like that. He was obviously devastated, but he sent a clear message that he wasn't broken or defeated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a very positive song in its way.

    I do like your big sky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did not know the history of the song. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A brave song! We need it more than ever now, alas. We really do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for Tom not to back down from the petty actions of idiots!!

    I loved The Traveling Wilburys, too....what burst of fresh air they were when they hit the scene and the airwaves!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never knew that and didn't think he would be someone you would take exception with/ dislike enough to burn his house down.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know Tom Petty's songs, though I'd heard of him. Thank you for letting me hear him.

    ReplyDelete