Friday, October 6, 2017

Crying In The Chapel -Written by Artie Glenn/Sung by Darrell Glenn



For some reason, I began singing the song, "Crying In The Chapel" today. (Note to self: find out that if you burst into song if it is a sign of insanity.) Of course, it would be the one by Elvis Presley that  comes to mind, but I wondered, who could have written it?

"Crying In The Chapel" was written by Artie Glenn.  His son, Darrell Glenn recorded it in 1953 while he was still in high school. He was only 17 years old! I read from a Texas newspaper that Artie Glenn had had spinal surgery and stopped into a small church near Ft. Worth and began to pray and he really did begin crying, and then, that inspired him to write this song.  I wish I could find more about him!  Darrell Glenn also went on to write music and had a successful music career. He even wrote a hit for Elvis Presley, "Indescribably Blue". 




Here are the lyrics for "Crying In The Chapel":



You saw me crying in the chapel
The tears I shed were tears of joy
I know the meaning of contentment
I am happy with the Lord

Just a plain and simple chapel
Where humble people go to pray
I prayed the Lord that I'll grow stronger
As I live from day to day

I searched and I searched but I couldn't find
No way on earth to find peace of mind

Now I'm happy in the chapel
Where people are of one accord
Yes, we gather in the chapel
Just to sing and praise the Lord

You'll search and you'll search but you'll never find
No way on earth to find peace of mind

Take your troubles to the chapel
Get down on your knees and pray
Then your burdens will be lighter
And you'll surely find a way


Sonny Til and The Orioles recorded it also in 1953.



Elvis Presley's recording was a hit in 1965.    



There have been many others who have recorded this song too, but hey, I have given you three.

I love them all.






26 comments:

  1. I'm always happy in chapels. Would be crying if I had to paint that one single handed.That's a lot of wood to cover, even with a roller.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whether it is Westminster Abbey or a small country church in Georgia, it is still a place to worship God.

      Delete
  2. I remember that song, Kay. I always thought it was the prayer of a sinner that had found their way "home". I had no idea about the history behind it. Great post. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diana. I don't know what brought this song to my mind, but my memories of music come to me all the time.

      Delete
  3. Seeing I'm an oldie...this one is an oldie I remember from my childhood!

    That's a very pristine pic...of the church with the clear blue sky backdrop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lee. Like you, I remember the song from my childhood, we had a lot from the 1960's!

      Delete
  4. All three are good versions. I remember the Orioles and then Elvis singing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved finding out who wrote it and that his son had a hit with it, the kind of thing I want others to know.

      Delete
  5. It's a lovely song, thank you for reminding me about it, i hadn't heard it in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've only ever heard the Elvis version before. Thanks for the other videos and the background info!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to write a book about songwriters, I find these background stories very interesting!

      Delete
  7. Chapels and churches are instant attractors for me, the older, the better! I don't always feel the same when I'm inside, but some places really "speak" to me and have a profound spiritual effect. Of course, I can (and do) pray anywhere, anytime, but a place specifically dedicated to prayer is something else, isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do love churches and of course, we are lucky enough to be able to visit the church at our local Monastery and all of the Monastery, not just the church, is dedicated to prayer. You can feel the serenity as you even walk the grounds a true spiritual effect.

      Delete
  8. Like Meike, I am always drawn to churches and chapels as buildings and what they represent: from the hard toil of slaves (some of the grandest cathedrals) to the hard toil of devotees (some of the simplest and most beautiful chapels). When on our safaris Pauline and I found it impossible to pass one without exploring.

    Listening to the recordings reminded me what a special voice Elvis had - and a really superb sense of timing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lucky you are Graham, to have been able to see so many churches on your travels!
      And you are correct, the voice of Elvis is like none other!

      Delete
  9. Of course I like the song sung by Elvis the best. His singing always touches my heart. He's an all time favorite of mine. Many songs originated from real life circumstances. I'm reminded of Amazing Grace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love the story behind Amazing Grace! They even made a movie about it a few years ago and my sweet husband made sure to take me to see it, he knew I would love it!

      Delete
  10. I think bursting into song is a true sign of sanity, Kay!
    Do you know where Artie Glen lived? A call to the local library there might give you more information. I think I like the Elvis version best, too. He had a wonderful gift of a voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good, I am glad someone thinks I am sane!
      I will keep looking for more info on Artie Glenn.
      One thing I saw...I heard a Norwegian woman sing this song on YouTube and there was a comment on there from Artie Glenn's grandson, he liked her version of it! (Singer was Sissel.)

      Delete
  11. Really beautiful and touching poery and music!

    Thank you for sharing this wonderful spiritual experience my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I am glad you liked this story behind the song.

      Delete
  12. Goodness, hadn't thought of that song for years. It was never one of my favourites, but it certainly sticks in the mind.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! I do remember that song. It's very comforting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When a song comes to me like that, I have to share it.

      Delete