Saturday, September 30, 2017

This Is A Gulf Fritillary Butterfly



Bright orange butterfly on a bright orange flower is a lovely sight!
Panola Mountain State Park posted a photo of a butterfly today on Instagram and asked for someone to identify it.  You know I had to tell them!  The first photo I have given you here is of the Gulf Fritillary showing the front wings.  The next photo is of the back wings...sometimes, depending on how the light hits it, the back wings look silver, like looking into a mirror but get the light just right and you see all those lovely spots with an "eye" looking at you. Can you see it? Once you see this and recognize it, you will always know that it is a Gulf Fritillary butterfly.   (The "eye" is a defense mechanism. If a predator tries to grab it by the "eye", it might be able to get away! And that eye should intimidate them, it looks pretty big, doesn't it?)

Also, butterflies love this flower...it is a Mexican sunflower (Tithonia) and we grew them from seed.  They are very easy to grow, just need to water them and care for them daily, that is all!
Worth it though, to get the butterflies to come to us! (The stalk of the flower can be very tall...think of Jack and the Beanstalk and you will get the idea...but the flower is rather small, like the size of a zinnia.)


Bright orange butterfly on a bright orange flower! Wonderful color!
Hope Panola Mountain State Park will see this post!

12 comments:

  1. Those are amazing photos and what a beautiful butterfly. I have never seen one of those. It blends right into the flower color-wise. Hope you have a great night- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kay - stunning insect and flowers ... a delight - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty! That eye must be to deter predators, it's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful butterfly!
    Have a blessed day,Kay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for brightening my day with those beautiful butterflies. The world is so full of beauty when you take the time to look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my favorite butterflies, beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree. The orange on orange is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful flower and beautiful butterfly. I've been enjoying Canada's most British city. I bed you'd love it here, Kay!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your pictures are so good and clear, Kay! Every time I see butterflies (and I see many), I want to grab my camera, but of course I either haven't got it with me or, if I do, by the time I manage to drag it out of my handbag, the butterfly is miles away...
    The "eye" really is impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're right that the bright orange butterfly on a bright orange flower looks stunning. I've always been fascinated by how animals have these built-in defense mechanisms like fake eyes that look intimidating, and their bright colours that make them look poisonous to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such beauty....it's impossible to replicate the natural beauty of Mother Nature.

    ReplyDelete