Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Gluten Free? Peanut Butter Cookies/Peter Pan



Gluten-free? Rather than being something "trendy", it is a way of life for those who have celiac disease.  If you want to know more about it, there is a well written article from England at the Boots WebMD Page, it is just here.  (Boots is the name of a chain of chemists in Britain or as we call them in America, drug stores!)
It is very often described as an allergy but it really isn't, it is an autoimmune disease.  Anyway, read that article at that link above, it describes it in such a logical, straightforward kind of way that is easily understood.


My husband, Richard was diagnosed with Celiac disease when he was only three years old and he spent quite a bit of time in the Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children in London.  I have written of this before and even posted a few recipes.  Since the early days of our marriage, I have made him "Miracle " Peanut Butter Cookies" that can be made without any flour! (I now use just a bit of rice flour or corn starch.) You may find the gluten free peanut butter cookie recipe here.)   Don't they look good? They are!
(I rarely have the nuts to go on top but I always have the chocolate chips to mix in with them!)






We walked past the Great Ormond Street Hospital when we were in London.  Richard says that they have redone this since he was a child, there are lots of bright colors and cheerful plants and flowers now.

In the front of the hospital, there is a statue of Peter Pan.   J. M. Barrie gave all the rights of Peter Pan to the hospital in 1929 and it is still a source of income for the hospital to this day. (A bit complicated regarding the copyright laws, you may read more about it here.)
Now, isn't it funny that I have given you a gluten free recipe for peanut butter cookies here and can you guess what brand of peanut butter that I like to use?  Why, Peter Pan, of course!

(You may use any brand you choose, just not one of those natural kind that has the oil that separates, it just doesn't work as well in this recipe.)

Let me know if you ever make these cookies! Even if you don't have celiac disease or are on a gluten free diet, I think you would like these cookies as long as you like homemade cookies!
(By the way, in England it is "coeliac" disease.)




20 comments:

  1. I am planning on re-reading Peter Pan in the near future. Right now I am into the Alice series. Through tThe Looking Glass is the one I am reading now. Then I shall read something a bit more adult before I read about The Pan. I tried making your cookies. My son is diabetic so I cannot use sugar and none of the substitutes hold together well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you MUST read the book by Jenny Woolf! It is
      "The Mystery of Lewis Carroll". Jenny Woolf went to the bank that Charles Dodgson used and ASKED for his bank records. By these documents, she could show what he spent his money on!
      And you are correct, I also tried to make these cookies for my Dad who is also diabetic and without sugar, they didn't hold together! If you find something that works, let me know, ok? :-)

      Delete
  2. Dear Kay, as you know, I made those cookies a couple of years or so ago - way too long, maybe I should make another batch soon!
    I love all things peanut, and thankfully, I have no known food allergies or other deseases that prevent me from eating just what I feel like. Bread and all sorts of baked goods are something I truly love - it would be extremely hard for me if I had to abandon most of it.
    I am glad that there are alternatives now, and seeing as you and Richard have been married a while :-), I am sure you know many good ways to cook and bake gluten-free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Meike! Yes, I do remember that you made these, thanks! I knew I wanted to have this link about celiac disease, so I thought I would just put this recipe on here again, as it might be one of only three recipes that I have mastered in my life!
      So, that leads me to your last sentence that you wrote to me...alas, we cook and bake very simply, and none of it will win any prizes, EXCEPT for my miracle cookies, I could sell them at a bakery but when you are as old as I am, I really should be a better cook/baker!

      Delete
  3. I have never read Peter Pan! One day perhaps. Hope your lovely husband enjoyed the cookies, so lovely of you to bake for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! You must read it! It is your duty as an English person!

      Delete
  4. Bigger Girl has a peanut cookie recipe with no gluten and no dairy, very similar to this, for a friend of hers who can have no dairy. Hers certainly look and smell wonderful when she makes them, i'm sure these are a delight, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I LOVE the way they make my house smell...like someone who knows how to bake! LOL!

      Delete
  5. Those cookies look wonderful! I'm not on any restricted diet so I'd enjoy them. I'm seeing more and more gluten free products in the store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, there are lots more gluten free products now, at least more people being told to go gluten free means that people don't look at us as if we are from Mars!

      Delete
  6. Your husband was so lucky to have been diagnosed so early in life. Many celiacs go years and years without knowing why they're so sick all the time. Although I believe diagnoses are more forthcoming these days because knowledge has improved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was lucky, especially so since his Dad was very ill at the same time. His mother took him to doctor after doctor until she found the one in London who correctly diagnosed him. 11 years, that is the number I have seen...the average time for Americans to be diagnosed with Celiac disease. I think it can be found out now though a blood test, so that makes it quicker and easier.

      Delete
  7. Fortunately, as I wrote in my latest post in my blog, I'm not allergic to any foods. I am allergic to some humans, however! :)

    When cooking in the restaurant in Gympie prior to my moving here to Tamborine Mountain, I had a regular diner who was a coeliac (Aussie spelling). She or her husband would always book in advance when they planned to dine...to enable me to always cater safely for her needs. They dined in the rest just about once every week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Lee, I can't imagine going out to a restaurant and not worrying about Richard eating something with gluten in it. I hope that couple appreciated you!
      (Richard and I eat out very rarely.)

      Delete
  8. I didn't know that Barre gave the rights to Peter Pan to the hospital. That's incredibly awesome. I'm not 100% sure I have a gluten intolerance but I do prefer to eat gluten free. I'll have to give these cookies a try for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be so tickled if you made these cookies! The texture need to be enough so that you can roll them into balls, if they seem too "wet", then just add a little corn flour and then roll them, and press a fork down one way and then the other. Make sure you let the cookies cool, and then, they come right up!
      Yes, I think it was wonderful that J.M. Barrie gave the rights to Peter Pan to the children's hospital!

      Delete
  9. Those cookies look good.
    I think your husband was most fortunate to be diagnosed early in life, although I think the medical profession are far more aware now and there are supportive groups around too which many may find useful.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We actually find it easier to eat gluten free in England than we do in the USA, but it is getting better since it is more well known now.
      You should try the cookies, they are good.

      Delete
  10. I'm sorry to hear that Richard has celiac disease, Kay. It's no fun from all that I have heard. I've bookmarked the recipe for when I get home. We're leaving tomorrow, well moving out of our trailer and checking into the Aquarius in Laughlin so we can cross paths with a good friend of Terry's. We should finally be home within a week. Have a great evening!

    ReplyDelete